A Commmunity Barking Protocol
Since barking has been the most emotive issue around the bylaw so far, one of the things we will be attempting to develop is a barking protocol which communities can adopt. Dogs do not necessarily understand suburbia or human manners, and a willingness to ‘think dog’ a bit is vital for successful control of nuisance barking, whether you are a dog lover or not!
Topics will include:
- reasons for barking, including boredom and separation distress
- teaching ‘quiet’
- how to make your neighbour’s dog worse
- implications of dogs being a crepuscular species (most active at dawn and dusk)
- anti-barking devices (a contentious topic)
- surgical de-barking (an even more contentious topic!)
…and many others.
If you have an article you would like to contribute, please either register and then email the webmaster and request author permission, or send me the article directly, preferably in plain text, together with your details so we can attribute it correctly.